If you are an Internet user, particularly an email user, you must be aware of the fact that an email program runs perfectly fine when the IMAP/POP and SMTP server settings are correct. An error in the settings would lead to email disruption. Yahoo is no exception. Yahoo Mail receives messages when the settings of Internet Mail Access Protocol (IMAP) are correct. You send an email to a specific recipient via SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol).
Now, you must be wondering what POP is? Well, it is Post Office Protocol. It is one way to receive Yahoo Mail on a mobile app or desktop. It downloads the messages, so you can move or delete them without affecting the original emails. No matter whether you are using IMAP or POP to receive emails, you must ensure the server settings are correct. So, how to access Yahoo Mail using IMAP or POP server settings?
Yahoo Mail IMAP Settings and Yahoo Mail POP Settings
With Yahoo making POP/ IMAP access available to everyone, it helps users managing their email from various email clients such as Thunderbird, Outlook and iOS Mail App. While IMAP and POP server settings are used to receive emails, IMAP allows two-way syncing and POP allows one-way syncing. Let us walk you through the settings –
- Yahoo Mail IMAP Server Settings: Enter the following details if you want to access your Yahoo messages in an email program seamlessly. Check the server details –
- Yahoo Mail IMAP Server:mail.yahoo.com
- IMAP Port: 993
- IMAP SSL/ TLS: Yes
- IMAP Username: This is your complete Yahoo Mail email address
- IMAP Password: This is your Yahoo Mail email address password or app password
- Yahoo Mail POP Server Settings: Check the POP server details below –
- Yahoo Mail POP Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
- POP Port: 995
- POP SSL/ TLS: Yes
- POP Username: This is your complete Yahoo Mail email address
- POP Password: This is your Yahoo Mail email address password or app password
- Yahoo Mail SMTP Server Settings: Check the SMTP server details below –
- Yahoo Mail SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- SMTP Port: 995
- SMTP SSL: Yes
- SMTP TLS: Yes (If available)
- Requires Authentication: Yes
Difference between IMAP and POP
IMAP or Internet Message Access Protocol is a newer protocol that allows users to access and manage emails remotely. Some of the characteristics of Yahoo Mail IMAP server are –
- Two-way Sync: Emails stay on the server and can be accessed remotely.
- Manage Mailbox Once: When you move or delete emails in the app, they are moved or deleted from the server, too.
- Full Access: Using the app, you can access emails from every folder.
- The Advantages of IMAP:
- With the help of the two-way sync protocol, you can synchronize your email among multiple devices. This feature is very important – keeping in mind, most people have multiple devices such as smartphones, laptops, etc.
- IMAP lets you store and access email on remote servers. Whenever there’s an issue with your hard drive, your emails are safe.
On the other hand, POP or Post Office Protocol copies emails from the email server to the app. If a user performs some action in the app, it does not affect email on the mail server. The main characteristics of POP –
- Keep email on server options
- One-way sync
- Manage Inboxes independently
- Limited Access
The Advantages of POP:
- You can access business email offline since messages are stored on your computer (locally).
- Your business email will be backed up even if you cancel your plan.
Did you check the server settings? Did you access Yahoo Mail using IMAP or POP server settings?
At any point, if you feel the need for technical assistance, make sure you contact Yahoo Mail Customer Support! The industry-trained and knowledgeable professionals will take the issue very seriously and will offer solutions right away.